Monday, May 28, 2007

Laundry By Hand

I didn't really start doing laundry until I got to college, and of course I only used a washing machine, with dryer. Put in your clothes, make 2-3 quick trips back to the laundry room over the course of a couple hours, and continue on with your day, all while doing something better than actually scrubbing things.

In the Philippines, most people don't have automatic washers. I think I could have my laundry done by my host family, but I decided I'd like to give it a go by hand, so I told my host mother and started getting my things. It was a complete spectacle. No less than six children and three grown women were watching me, laughing, coaching, and incredulously confirming that I'd never washed clothes by hand. There was also a completely wasted man who expressed an interest (this was 1 pm on a Sunday) in it, but scolded the 15-year old girl who was mostly coaching me for speaking to me in English. It's been somewhat of a fishbowl existence here, but nothing has compared to this so far. I stuck with it but I don't think I did it right. My hands and arms got really irritated with the soap, and I'm pretty sure my clothes aren't clean. They also took at least 24 hours to dry. For all I know, they still aren't dry.

To most people in the world, this is the way of life. The interesting thing about the Peace Corps is that I could make it my way of life too, or I could probably easily pay somebody to do my laundry for me, even on my Volunteer salary. As much as we want to integrate into the community, the fact of the matter will always remain that I'm a plane ride and job offer away from a life of comparative luxury, and it will continue to be this way throughout my service here. It will always separate me from most people here, and it will be a continual temptation to take the easy way out. Most Volunteers seem to pay somebody for their laundry, and I'll probably end up doing the same. In a lot of ways so far, it seems like being a Volunteer here presents a different set of challenges than say, The Gambia or Mali. Of course, I'll have to see how it goes when I actually get to my site..

3 comments:

brecks said...

Hi Craig, this is Leanne's roommate Breckie, we met at Jenny Cjoi's birthday. Leanne forwarded your email to me because I am applying for Peace Corps this year, and I am actually hoping to go to the Philippines. I am a fisheries student and my research has focused on community based resource management in the Philippines for the past few years. I have also been studying Tagalog for the past two years and am really interested in the social/political state of the PI now. Anyway have a great time and I am excited to know who you are working with because I have probably been following their research!

brecks said...

sorry Jenny Choi that is

grant said...

Hello Crig,

I really feel you on the whole "i'm living here with the locals but can choose to not really live like the locals" idea.
No matter how integrated you think you become or how humbly you choose to live, the fact of the matter is that you have a completely different life available to you after your stay. It can make for feelings of awkwardness and guilt at times. However, one attitude that I adopted while I was in Tanzania for that short time, was to find the similarities you share as people and enjoy them in those moments--whether its sharing a beer or a spot on the beach. Anyways, hope all is well. -- You must come over to Sohn house and I turn on MTV for you.

--Kyung Sook Sohn